Thursday, February 26, 2015

My take on codfish


Did you know that if there were a "Portuguese dish" it would probably be codfish and they claim there are more than 1000 ways to prepare it? 

Well, I'm not a huge fan, but my husband is, my father is, and almost every Portuguese man I know is so I like to have a recipe up my sleeve. This is my take on "Bacalhau de Gomes Sa", which is like a casserole... and I love casseroles. 

Buy shredded, salted codfish and soak it in water for 24 hours, changing the water at least twice. Then boil it for 15 minutes, drain it and soak it in warm milk for 30 minutes. Peel and roughly chop potatoes (enough to fill a casserole dish) and boil them until just tender. Slice two onions and four garlic cloves and saute them in about 1/2 cup of olive oil, adding a little cinnamon and cumin. Combine everything in an oiled dish, plus a dash of oregano and black olives (I forgot and served mine on the side), and add more olive oil if necessary. Bake until bubbling and top with chopped parsley and hard boiled eggs. 
 
***Update to this recipe here:

No comments:

Post a Comment