Thursday, October 06, 2011

Fatima and the real things

I went to Fatima yesterday (yes, I am the envy of many American Catholics and can say "I went to Fatima" as a day's activity). I went there for a meeting but ended up having some time in the sanctuary for walking around and confession. On the car ride home, this Laura Ingalls Wilder quote popped up in my mind:

“The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong.”

And I thought, I've been searching for so long... for the perfect life/community/spiritual revolution but the essential things haven't changed for 2000 years: prayer, Eucharist, Reconciliation. And you can do all those things in Fatima. We just need crazy movements, renewals and Marian apparitions to teach us the value of those really simple things. Humbling. And comforting.

We arrived at lunchtime and there were families picnicking everywhere. I loved it.
And I loved how they all had wine and meat sandwiches!



No comments:

Post a Comment