Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Diary of Saint Faustina Quotes

Image result for saint faustina divine mercy
I've wanted to read the Diary of Saint Faustina for a long time and during the Year of Mercy was the perfect time. It is long and repetitive and hard to get through, but worth it. The first third of the book (about) I was having a really hard time getting into the book. Saint Faustina sounded like a massochistic psychopath and Jesus like a sadistic psychopath. Sorry, yes, it was freaking me out.

But then I don't know if the book changed or I changed, but I suddenly started loving it and it suddenly started making sense. Hmm, I guess that will forever remain a mystery. Here are some of my favorite quotes:


I saw Our Lady visiting the souls in Purgatory. The souls call her “The Star of the Sea.” She brings them refreshment. (20)

A confessor can help a soul a great deal, but he can also cause it a lot of harm. Oh, how careful confessors should be about the work of God’s grace in their penitents’ souls! (35)

Sufferings, adversities, humiliations, failures and suspicions that have come my way are splinters that keep alive the fire of my love for You, O Jesus. (57)

Suffering is a great grace; through suffering the soul becomes like the Savior; in suffering love becomes crystallized; the greater the suffering, the purer the love. (57)

And now when I hear people sometimes say that they have no confessor; that is to say, a director, fear takes hold of me, because I know very well how much harm I myself experienced when I did not have this help. It is so easy to go astray when one has no guide! (61)

I change hard work of yours into bouquets of most beautiful flowers, and their perfume rises up to My throne. (65)

I see that God never tries us beyond what we are able to suffer. Oh, I fear nothing; if God sends such great suffering to a soul. He upholds it with an even greater grace, although we are not aware of it. One act of trust at such moments gives greater glory to God than whole hours passed in prayer filled with consolations. (41)

It is not for the success of a work, but for the suffering that I give reward. (90)

When I receive Jesus in Holy Communion, I ask Him fervently to deign to heal my tongue so that I would offend neither God nor neighbor by it. I want my tongue to praise God without cease. Great are the faults committed by the tongue. The soul will not attain sanctity if it does not keep watch over its tongue. (46)

Sometimes we kill with the tongue: we commit real murders. And we are still to regard that as a small thing? I truly do not understand such consciences. (119)

Still, superiors are always superiors. And although they humiliated me personally and, on occasions, filled me with all kinds of doubts, they always allowed me to do what the Lord demanded. (128)

I will avoid sisters who grumble, and if they cannot be avoided, I will at least keep silent before them, thus letting them know how sorry I am to hear such things. (226)

I must do everything and act in all manners now as I would like to do and act at the hour of my death. (226)

I must not let myself become absorbed in the whirl of work, but take a break to look up to Heaven. (226)

I will thank the Lord Jesus for every humiliation and will pray specially for the person who has given me the chance to be humiliated. (243)

I feel certain that my mission will not come to an end upon my death, but will begin. (281)

I tried to explain to her that when we suffer much we have a great chance to show God that we love Him; but when we suffer little we have less occasion to show God our love; and when we do not suffer at all, our love is then neither great nor pure. (303)

Oh, how great a grace it is to have a spiritual director! One makes more rapid progress in virtue, sees the will of God more clearly, fulfills it more faithfully, and follows a road that is sure and free of dangers. The director knows how to avoid the rocks against which the soul could be shattered. (331)

Jesus answered that He would grant her that favor, not for her sake, but for the sake of my request. Now I understood how much we ought to pray for sinners, and especially for our wards. (350)

To comfort you, let Me tell you that there are souls living in the world who love Me dearly… Their number is very small. They are a defense or the world before the justice of the Heavenly Father and a means of obtaining mercy for the world. The love and sacrifice of these souls sustain the world in existence. (367)

We should derive two kinds of profit from Holy Confession:  1. We come to confession to be healed;  2. We come to be educated – like a small child, our soul has a constant need of education. (377)

You are a sweet grape in a chosen cluster; I want others to have a share in the juice that is flowing within you. (393)

I accept joy or suffering, praise or humiliation with the same disposition. I remember that one and the other are passing. (485)

Each battle valiantly fought brings me joy, peace, light, experience and courage for the future; honor and glory to God; and in the end, for me, a reward. (499)

Only love has meaning; it raises up our smallest actions into infinity. (502)

We will bear in mind that a soldier on the front line cannot hold out long without support from the rear forces that do not actually take part in the fighting but provide for all his needs; and that such is the role of prayer, and that therefore each one of us is to be distinguished by an apostolic spirit. (539)

When you reflect upon what I tell you in the depths of your heart, you profit more than if you had read many books. Oh, if souls would only want to listen to My voice when I am speaking in the depths of their hearts, they would reach the peak of holiness in a short time. (584)

Right away I said the Te Deum for this special grace of God; namely of learning how God treats those He intends to have close to himself. Thus, all sufferings are nothing in comparison with what awaits us in heaven. (596)

He has deigned to place these pillars of light along the path of my spiritual life. They light my way so that I do nog to astray or become delayed in my journey toward close union with the Lord. I have a great love for the Church, which educates souls and leads them to God. (749)

When the soul returns to its habitual form of life, it then sees that this life is all darkness and mist and dreamlike confusion, an infant’s swaddling clothes. (767)

My daughter, I am told that there is much simplicity in you, so why do you not tell Me about everything that concerns you, even the smallest details? Tell Me about everything, and know that this will give Me great joy. (921)

Know, my daughter, that the entire Holy Trinity finds Its special delight in you, because you live exclusively by the will of God. No sacrifice can compare with this. (955)

Oh, if only the suffering soul knew how it is loved by God, it would die of joy and excess of happiness! Some day, we will know the value of suffering, but then we will no longer be able to suffer. The present moment is ours. (963)

I took part in this retreat, as I very much desire to know God more deeply and to love Him more ardently, for I have understood that the greater the knowledge, the stronger the love. (974)

I felt today how greatly a certain dying soul desired prayers. I prayed until I felt she had died. Oh, dying souls are in such great need of prayer! O Jesus, inspire souls to pray often for the dying. (1015)

I made an hour of adoration in thanksgiving for the graces which had been granted me and for my illness. Illness also is a great grace. I have been ill for four months, but I do not recall having wasted so much as a minute of it. All has been for God and souls; I want to be faithful to Him everywhere. (1062)

The quintessence of love is sacrifice and suffering. Truth wears a crown of thorns. Prayer involves the intellect, the will, and the emotions. (1103)

Let the toiling and tired souls rejoice. (1127)

O Jesus, I see so much beauty scattered around me, beauty for which I give You constant thanks. But I see that some souls are like stone, always cold and unfeeling. Even miracles hardly move them. Their eyes are always fixed on their feet, and so they see nothing but themselves. (1284)

As I write these words, I hear the cry of Satan: “She’s writing everything, she’s writing everything, and because of this we are losing so much! Do not write about the goodness of God; He is just!” And howling with fury, he vanished. (1338)

O humdrum days, filled with darkness, I look upon you with a solemn and festive eye. How great and solemn is the time that gives us the chance to gather merits for eternal heaven!  I understand how the saints made use of it. (1373)

I have come to know that every soul would like to have divine comforts, but is by no means willing to forsake human comforts, whereas these two things cannot be reconciled. (1443)

Although I am feeling weak, and my nature is clamoring for rest, I feel the inspiration of grace telling me to take hold of myself and write, write for the comfort of souls, whom I love so much and with whom I will share all eternity. And I desire eternal life for them so ardently that that is why I use all my free moments, no matter how short, for writing in the way that Jesus wishes of me. (1471)

O truth, so often oppressed, you nearly always wear a crown of thorns! O Eternal Truth, support me that I may have the courage to speak the truth even if it would come about that I would pay for it with my life. (1482)

But understand that the strength by which you bear sufferings comes from frequent Communions. So approach this fountain of mercy often, to draw with the vessel of trust whatever you need. (1487)

My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love. You should not become discouraged, but strive to make My love reign in place of your self-love. (1488)

Secretary of My most profound mystery, know that yours is an exclusive intimacy with me. Your task is to write down everything that I make known to you about My mercy, for the benefit  those who by reading these things will be comforted in their souls and will have the courage to approach Me. I therefor want you to devote all your free moments to writing. (1693)

At the same instant, I received an interior answer from God that a thousand souls had received grace through the prayerful mediation I had offered to God. We do not know the number of souls that is ours to save through our prayers and sacrifices; therefore, let us always pray for sinners. (1783)

2 comments:

  1. If you think that's masochistic, try Saint Margaret's Diary (the revelation of the Sacred Heart)! I had lots of difficulty with it, and I ended up giving it up, so scared I was of my own sins compared to hers!!! Now seriously: the most beautiful messages I've ever read, the ones that have opened for me the Scriptures and made God's voice through the Bible alive and full, are the ones of True Life in God (Vassula Ryden). I highy recommend... For me, there is not the slightest doubt they come from Jesus. Find them here: http://www.tlig.org/ I heard Vassula herself speak two years ago in Fatima... Beautiful! She was a tennis player and model, and now she goes around the world talking about Jesus and working for the unity of the churches (she is ortodox). Every day I read a bit of the messages, together with the Bible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's exactly it... makes me realize how sinful I am when I read these great saints. I've never heard of Vassula Ryden... very interesting, thank you.

    ReplyDelete