Monday, February 27, 2012

How to react to failure?


How to react when confronted with failure? Mother Teresa has quite a few things to say about it, a few here:

"If you are discouraged it is a sign of pride because it shows you trust in your own power. Your self-sufficiency, your selfishness and your intellectual pride will inhibit His coming to live in your heart because God cannot fill what is already full. It is as simple as that."

"God doesn't ask that we succeed in everything, but that we are faithful. However beautiful our work may be, let us not become attached to it. Always remain prepared to give it up, without losing your peace."

"Be humble and you will never be disturbed. It is a very difficult in practice because we all want to see the result of our work. Leave it to Jesus."

This weekend I went on a retreat with my youth group. It has been hard to not be discouraged and not depend on the success of what I'm putting my effort into. Last year I quit the youth group, then regretted it and went back, but it suffered a few heavy blows and we're pretty much starting from zero again. There were a total of six people at the retreat and things are looking pretty unsuccessful for the near future, but I'm learning that it might just be in these moments that we learn the most and that the most surprising things happen. I'm learning my real motivations in doing things, accepting my weakness, learning about faithfulness and that relationships really are the most important thing in life. Our relationship with our Heavenly Father, with others, how to love and be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment